[LODSIG] LOD for the philologies

Christian Chiarcos christian.chiarcos at web.de
Sun Nov 12 07:22:49 CET 2017

Dear all,

great to see the SIG coming back to life, again. As ADHO SIGs are intended
to be a device to organize workshops: What are the plans for 2018 and 2019?
Any plans for, say, a telco or skype call to discuss them?

As for myself, I am mostly working on using LOD formalisms for language
resources and natural language processing (besides my other work on
computational semantics). Since about a decade, I'm involved in community
efforts to create and expand the Linguistic Linked Open Data (LLOD)
[sub-]cloud (http://linguistic-lod.org), first materialized in 2011 and
since 2014 a top-level group of the LOD cloud diagram. The LLOD cloud is
being developed by the Open Knowledge Open Linguistics Working Group (
http://linguistics.okfn.org/), but a number of specialized W3C Community
Groups evolved around it. The most successful among these is the OntoLex CG
who develops vocabularies for machine-readable dictionaries (
https://www.w3.org/2016/05/ontolex/), other CGs address best practices or
other types of resources.

All of this is, however, not specific to language technology, but also
relevant for computational philology (you may have seen the CfP I just
sent), so there was the idea to collocate a LLOD workshop with DH2017. In
preparation, I joined this list and discussed the SIG status with several
people at DH2016, but with the SIG being about to be dissolved back then,
this idea didn't materialize. It would be an option for 2019, however. Any
interest in the re-booted SIG?

Best,
Christian
--