[Lod] Introduction / Workshop plans for DH2017 / SIG activities

Dino Buzzetti dino.buzzetti at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 15:53:21 CEST 2016

Dear Professor Chiarcos,

This is just to say that, as a member of this group, I find
your proposal extremely appropriate and useful.  I do not
know whether I shall be attending DH2017, but I think that
the construction of a LLOD claud is of oustanding interest
to DH scholars, and not only to those concerned with textual
studies: to know the intrinsic linguistic properties of the
terms we use for producing metadata or for tagging digital
resources can considerably enhance the analytical potential
of these crucial activities for DH scholars in general.

Best regards,               -dino buzzetti

On 20 June 2016 at 13:38, Christian Chiarcos <christian.chiarcos at web.de>
wrote:

> Dear LOD SIG,
>
> just to introduce myself, my name is Christian Chiarcos, Professor for
> Applied Computational Linguistics at Goethe University Frankfurt, Germany.
> My research interests mostly lie at the intersection between semantic
> technologies and natural language processing, with a focus on innovative
> applications and their methodological impact in Digital Humanities.
>
> I've been involved in building a community interested in using Linked Data
> for language resources (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LLOD provides an
> overview, http://linguistics.okfn.org/ is the community portal). This is
> an interdisciplinary effort involving experts from, e.g., linguistics,
> lexicography, natural language processing and the semantic web.
>
> Since 2011, we collaborate on developing what is called the Linguistic
> Linked Open Data cloud (http://linguistic-lod.org, also a top-level
> category in the 2014 LOD diagram), we had a number of joint publications
> (e.g., http://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783642282485), and international
> workshops (most notably the Linked Data in Linguistics series, LDL,
> annually since 2012).
>
> It is with respect to the latter that I'm approaching this SIG. So far,
> LDL workshops have been collocated with larger conferences in order to
> facilitate the exchange of ideas and the transfer of competences between
> and with existing communities. So far, this includes conferences on
> general linguistics (DGfS-2012), semantics (GL2013), language resources
> (LREC-2014 and LREC-2016) and computational linguistics (ACL-IJCNLP 2015).
> The workshops not only contributed to bring awareness about the potential
> of LOD to these communities, but also helped researchers interested in LOD
> to create synergies, e.g., to develop and re-use community-specific
> vocabularies and recommendations of best practice (most prominent being
> the lexicon model for ontologies, https://www.w3.org/2016/05/ontolex/). We
> are actually quite successful in this regard, even though there is some
> way to go, e.g., with respect to representing annotated corpora. Yet,
> although I known about (and work on) applications of LOD in computational
> philology, this line of research is almost invisible within the LLOD
> community (and vice versa).
>
> We are thus considering to collocate such a workshop with a major DH
> event, as well. This one would then have a focus on LOD, of course, but in
> the context of DH also primarily on applications in the philologies (or,
> "text-oriented" rather than "object-" or "media-oriented" branches of DH).
>
> I understand that one role of SIGs is to endorse/develop workshop
> proposals, and I am thinking about such a proposal for a workshop to be
> collocated with DH2017. I am curious about the opinion within the SIG,
> both on the idea in general and on endorsing such a workshop proposal, the
> procedure necessary for the purpose, but also on your ideas about the
> [...]

Dino Buzzetti                                          formerly
Department of Philosophy     University of Bologna
                             currently
Fondazione per le Scienze Religiose Giovanni XXIII
​
via san Vitale, 114                   I-40125 Bologna BO
e-mail:  dino.buzzetti(at)gmail.com
             buzzetti(at)fscire.it
web: http://web.dfc.unibo.it/buzzetti/
http://www.fscire.it/it/home/chi-siamo/ricercatori/buzzetti/