[Lod] Introduction / Workshop plans for DH2017 / SIG activities

Christian Chiarcos christian.chiarcos at web.de
Mon Jun 20 13:38:13 CEST 2016

Dear LOD SIG,

just to introduce myself, my name is Christian Chiarcos, Professor for
Applied Computational Linguistics at Goethe University Frankfurt, Germany.
My research interests mostly lie at the intersection between semantic
technologies and natural language processing, with a focus on innovative
applications and their methodological impact in Digital Humanities.

I've been involved in building a community interested in using Linked Data
for language resources (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LLOD provides an
overview, http://linguistics.okfn.org/ is the community portal). This is
an interdisciplinary effort involving experts from, e.g., linguistics,
lexicography, natural language processing and the semantic web.

Since 2011, we collaborate on developing what is called the Linguistic
Linked Open Data cloud (http://linguistic-lod.org, also a top-level
category in the 2014 LOD diagram), we had a number of joint publications
(e.g., http://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783642282485), and international
workshops (most notably the Linked Data in Linguistics series, LDL,
annually since 2012).

It is with respect to the latter that I'm approaching this SIG. So far,
LDL workshops have been collocated with larger conferences in order to
facilitate the exchange of ideas and the transfer of competences between
and with existing communities. So far, this includes conferences on
general linguistics (DGfS-2012), semantics (GL2013), language resources
(LREC-2014 and LREC-2016) and computational linguistics (ACL-IJCNLP 2015).
The workshops not only contributed to bring awareness about the potential
of LOD to these communities, but also helped researchers interested in LOD
to create synergies, e.g., to develop and re-use community-specific
vocabularies and recommendations of best practice (most prominent being
the lexicon model for ontologies, https://www.w3.org/2016/05/ontolex/). We
are actually quite successful in this regard, even though there is some
way to go, e.g., with respect to representing annotated corpora. Yet,
although I known about (and work on) applications of LOD in computational
philology, this line of research is almost invisible within the LLOD
community (and vice versa).

We are thus considering to collocate such a workshop with a major DH
event, as well. This one would then have a focus on LOD, of course, but in
the context of DH also primarily on applications in the philologies (or,
"text-oriented" rather than "object-" or "media-oriented" branches of DH).

I understand that one role of SIGs is to endorse/develop workshop
proposals, and I am thinking about such a proposal for a workshop to be
collocated with DH2017. I am curious about the opinion within the SIG,
both on the idea in general and on endorsing such a workshop proposal, the
procedure necessary for the purpose, but also on your ideas about the
resonance to be expected from the DH community.

Finally, I wanted to ask about the status, plans and activities for/within
this SIG. I've seen this has been addressed by Leif Isaksen
(
http://lists.lists.digitalhumanities.org/mailman/private/lod/2015-May/000092.html
),
but I would be curious to learn whether and how this discussion (even
off-list) eventually continued.

Best regards,
Christian
--