[Lod] proposal for LOD-DH

Colin Greenstreet colin.greenstreet at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 5 18:56:48 CET 2014

Dear all,

I strongly support Dr Kai Eckert and Professor Andrew Hugill in their
offers of collaboration in developing a DH network and bidding for funding.

Kai observed very accurately that there is a "general pattern in bringing
together content providers, computer scientists/computational linguists and
humanities scholars to improve access to resources, extract linked data and
information/knowledge, finally develop
applications/aggregations/visualisations on top of it in order to support
scholars in answering new research questions."

Frankly, historians, and indeed archives and libraries, have not been that
astute in creating sustainable digital humanities resources with vibrant
user communities. Lots or porject bids, lots of funded projects, far fewer
sustainable useful resources with communities of scholars and public users
whop support the resources.

I do communities, as well as having a strong interest in technology and
content.

I'm probably the odd one out in this email chain - Harvard Business School,
former consultant (McKinsey, Booz.Allen), former pharmaceutical executive
(R&D strategy director at GlaxoWellcome), and serial entrepreneur. This
time I'm out to create something of social, educational and intellectual
merit around C17th English Admiralty Court records. In addition to
developing a European institutional and volunteer network (which
potentially could extend to the University of Utrecht, the University of
Ancona, and the University of St. Andrews), I am developing an
institutional and volunteer network in North America, with ongoing
discussions at the University of North Carolina (Chapel Hill, NC) and the
University of Pennsylvania.

If you would like to learn more about MarineLives, please take a look
at MarineLives
Profile and Resources on
HASTAC<https://www.academia.edu/6150368/MarineLives_Profile_and_Resources_on_HASTAC>

Best regards