[Lod] proposal for LOD-DH

Kai Eckert kai at informatik.uni-mannheim.de
Wed Mar 5 17:03:43 CET 2014

Hi all,

I would like to join as well. I am currently in the process of
establishing a network of DH researchers around the MarineLives corpus,
together with Colin Greenstreet [1]. MarineLives is also associated
partner in the EC funded DM2E project [2] where we develop LOD based
applications for the digital humanities. Around MarineLives alone, we
are currently in contact with people from UK, DE, CH, and IT. Colin is
the main hub in this network and can probably name further institutions
in further EU countries that would qualify at least as interested
parties in such an action.

The DM2E project is funded until January 2015 and in my opinion provides
a formidable basis for further collaboration beyond the lifetime of the
current project, which would certainly benefit from COST support.
(Associated) Partners are besides the countries above from GR, AT, NO,
IL, BG, BE, and US (not qualified in this case, I assume).

This afternoon, I had an interesting call with Andrew Hugill from Bath
Spa University who is also involved with the MarineLives network and
interested in further collaboration in Digital Humanities.

I see a general pattern in bringing together content providers, computer
scientists/computational linguists and humanities scholars to improve
access to resources, extract linked data and information/knowlegde,
finally develop applications/aggregations/visualisations on top of it in
order to support scholars in answering new research questions.

I don't know much about COST actions and requirements for funding, but
if you think this fits, I would be glad to contribute. The timing is
unfortunately very bad for me as I am currently hardly available, but on
the otherhand, not so much seems to be needed for a first proposal. Just
let me know if you think I can be of any help or if you need further input.

Best,

Kai

[1] http://marinelives.org/
[2] http://dm2e.eu