[GeoHumanities SIG] A note from your GeoHumanities SIG Co-chairs

Page, Michael michael.page at emory.edu
Fri Mar 24 17:22:03 CET 2017

Hi list,

I would be very interested in becoming more involved in the advancement of GeoHumanities SIG. I believe the strongest aspect of such a group is the interconnectedness internationally and the possibilities to discover potential new collaborators. While Kraków was my first ADHO I would really like to be more directly involved in the SIG. New technologies like UAS and AR/VR are rapidly changing my approach to fieldwork as a geographer and the current state of Internet technologies is reducing the friction of being able to reach the general public versus traditional academic audiences. Self-reflecting I have been more effective in building/creating content than actually disseminating it. On the Emory campus I have a production lab that works on digital scholarship projects which are mostly humanities, but some are also mixed approaches. I am optimistic the new opportunities such centers pose for fostering collaboration and supporting the dissemination of digital work but it has been a long road. Therefore, I look forward to future conversations with the group on these key topics, the impact and methods of new technologies, how to facilitate and strengthen collaborative work, and how to digitally publish that also engages the public. Several of us have research activities in June and July so I am glad to see ADHO is in August this year so will be able to make it again this year on my way back from Greece. Looking forward to seeing you there!

Sincerely,
Michael

Michael Page
Geographer, Emory Center for Digital Scholarship
Lecturer of Geospatial Sciences & Technology, Dept. of Environmental Sciences
Emory University
Atlanta, Georgia USA
Skype: cartographic
Tel 404.548.7210

This e-mail message (including any attachments) is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this message (including any attachments) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender by reply e-mail message and destroy all copies of the original message (including attachments).