[GeoHumanities SIG] A note from your GeoHumanities SIG Co-chairs

Karl Grossner karl.geog at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 23:49:17 CET 2017

Dear GeoHumanists,

It's coming up on four years since we co-founded the GeoHumanities SIG of
ADHO in 2013. In that time, the SIG has begun fostering community amongst
those digital humanists whose research is geographically focused or
inflected. Our efforts to that end have included: convening workshops and
hosting dinners at DH conferences, launching a web site and coordinating
associated initiatives (GIS project list, GeoDiRT), publicizing
community-related events and projects with our Twitter account
(@GeoHum_SIG) and email list, and advocating for an enhanced role for SIGs
in ADHO and in DH conference programs (in 2016 Kathy took on the newly
developed role, SIG Convener’s liaison to ADHO Executive Committee).

Although we can count several successes, there remains significant untapped
potential for the GeoHumanities SIG. We have no governing bylaws, but now
seems a good time to rotate some new members into leadership roles, and
possibly to make some significant changes to leadership organization. After
this year's DH conference in Montreal, Karl will step away from his
co-chair role. Kathy will continue participating in some capacity into the
next year to transition new leadership.

We would like to begin a discussion amongst all our members (several
hundred list subscribers and Twitter followers) about what happens next. A
first question might be whether members want to continue with a co-chair
leadership structure or possibly extend it to a steering committee?  Is
there a need for an Advisory Committee, or could that be disbanded? As part
of the transitions, we should consider working up some long term goals  We
received lots of great suggestions in response to the survey we conducted
in 2016, Is there a way forward on some of the initiatives that were most
strongly supported (http://geohumanities.org/survey-results)?

At the Montreal meeting we will organize our usual SIG dinner, and we'd
also like to arrange a meeting of the minds about the group's organization.
Let's arrive in Montreal with some discussion under our belt via this email
list (a good way to provide input whether attending DH2017 or not). Please
help us get the ball rolling by responding to this message!

best regards,

Kathy Hart Weimer

Karl Grossner