[GeoHumanities SIG] Event: New Frontiers in Mapping the Maya Tropics, 7th of Sept, UoKent @ Medway

Benjamin Vis B.N.Vis at kent.ac.uk
Thu Aug 17 12:04:00 CEST 2017

Dear colleagues,

I’m pleased to announce an event taking place at the University of Kent at Medway on the 7th of September 2017. At “New Frontiers in Mapping the Maya Tropics: Neotropical Digital Archaeology, Global Development, and Urban Ecosystems”, I will introduce public lectures by Kathryn Reese-Taylor (Calgary) and Scott Huston (Hutson). All are welcome to attend (free registration link below). Please do spread this message widely (or request a flyer to put up and distribute).

On the same theme there is a collaborative research meeting on the 8th of September 2017. This is invitee only. Should you have a specific research interest in Maya urbanism and its relevance to contemporary urban development, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Eastern ARC Digital Humanities presents:

New Frontiers in Mapping the Maya Tropics
Neotropical Digital Archaeology, Global Development, and Urban Ecosystems

Public lectures by Kathryn Reese-Taylor and Scott Hutson

Archaeologists using airborne LiDAR technology have started to reveal vast urban landscapes underneath the tropical forests of Central America.  We can now consider how mapping these inhabitation patterns can  help urban development today.   Kathryn Reese-Taylor (Calgary) and Scott Hutson (Kentucky) are experts in the mapping of tropical Maya cities.  Introduced by Eastern ARC Fellow Benjamin Vis (Kent) we will reflect on the archaeological opportunities this affords and the challenges it poses.

Where?
University of Kent at Medway
Royal Dockyard Church
16 College Rd, Chatham ME4 4QX

When?
7th of September 2017
Doors:  15:30
Start:     16:00
Drinks: 18:30

Free registration at: https://kenthospitality.kent.ac.uk/Register/Registration/Welcome.aspx?e=8808F45019E82DE7F407C393310705EA
More info at: http://easternarc.ac.uk/latest-news/eastern-arc-digital-humanities-conference/ Or contact:
Sarah Tetley (S.R.Tetley-8 at kent.ac.uk<mailto:S.R.Tetley-8 at kent.ac.uk>)|Benjamin Vis (B.N.Vis at kent.ac.uk<mailto:B.N.Vis at kent.ac.uk>)

Dr Benjamin N. Vis | +44 (0)1227 82 <+44%20(0)1227%2082%20> 6543 | https://kent.academia.edu/BenjaminVis |

School of European Culture & Languages | University of Kent |

Rutherford College W3.E7 | Canterbury CT2 7NX | UK |