[GeoHumanities SIG] GeoHumanities SIG future

Benjamin Vis B.N.Vis at kent.ac.uk
Wed Apr 12 18:55:58 CEST 2017

Dear Kathy and Karl,

While it will be a challenge to keep a good/qualifying project list relevant, representative, and up-to-date, I think there is value in having a 'GeoHumanities research portal' like that, listing ongoing and archived projects, and linking to their accessible outputs and project members.

It may also be worth creating lists and/or calendars with relevant training and events, but perhaps even more so, to promote them. I'm not sure if GeoHumSIG has done this in the past, but one way to diversify out of the ADHO conference, might be to have an efficient endorsement process where events and training organised by affiliates can be labelled 'GeoHumSIG' approved (e.g. does this apply to the l'Aquila workshop?) and supported in marketing/outreach for the event. Naturally, the risk is that this would only bureaucratise the advertisement of events that currently can simply be posted on this mailing list, so it should be considered what, if anything, the added value would be. I find the thought appealing, because it creates somewhat of a recognisable knowledge hub and would help GeoHumSIG to keep track what's going on.

Arguably, depending on the affiliates/membership of the SIG, the future could bring more accessible 'chapter' conferences in geographical areas. However, I suspect we're not quite at the stage of requiring such multi-level approach.

GeoHumSIG might also support publications and project grants by offering informal peer review. I often find it difficult to access relevant friendly input/review for project ideas. I would possibly extend such an effort with a kind of 'forum/matching online environment' where very early stage ideas could be posted for collaborative outputs and bids for members to declare interest in within a set timeframe (to move development on). This could make the community proactively productive and create strong teams. Naturally, where a grant scheme is already identified, it should be clear who and/or which countries/institutions would be eligible to apply. If it is just an idea, the team formation could precede identifying a funding venue.

In terms of reaching out to further disciplines, I think it's important to recognise that source data for GeoHumanities might also be of material/physical (rather than documentary) nature (n.b. declaring my interest). Such emphasis might strike more of a chord with (physical) geographers, environmental sciences and humanities, architecture and urban design, and urbanists. Coming from an archaeological background myself, I'm curious how much reach GeoHumSIG has within this discipline, as archaeology has a long history of research and teaching work that could be described as GeoHumanities, but I can also imagine this means many archaeologists might not have seen a need to directly engage with this relatively new interest field.

For any of these initiatives (and I'm not against the ones mentioned earlier), I think a representative and responsible coordinating steering group member should be appointed. Feel free to discuss with me how this might be organised. Attendance at the ADHO conference has been my main restriction so far.

Best regards,

Benjamin

Dr Benjamin N. Vis | +44 (0)1227 82 <+44%20(0)1227%2082%20> 6543 | https://kent.academia.edu/BenjaminVis |

School of European Culture & Languages | University of Kent |

Rutherford College W3.E7 | Canterbury CT2 7NX | UK |