[GeoHumanities SIG] volunteer as DH reviewer - reply by Sept 12

Kathy Weimer khw2 at rice.edu
Tue Sep 6 23:01:14 CEST 2016

Dear GeoHumanities SIG members,

The ADHO Program Committee is seeking to expand the reviewer pool for
future DH conferences.  This work is quite important!  We, GeoHumanists,
hold unique expertise, and are best qualified to review the range of
Geo-DH works submitted.  The review process is one way that we are able
to shape the content of the conference. If you have served in the past,
thank you, and we hope that you are able to serve again in the coming
year(s).  If you have not reviewed in the past, consider serving this year.

The process to seek additional reviewers is new this year.  As
background, in June, the ADHO Steering Committee unanimously approved
the DH 2017/DH 2018 joint program committee proposal to formally expand
the pool of reviewers. This expansion is in line with ADHO’s conference
protocol
[http://adho.org/administration/conference-coordinating/adho-conference-protocol
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__adho.org_administration_conference-2Dcoordinating_adho-2Dconference-2Dprotocol&d=CwMFaQ&c=ODFT-G5SujMiGrKuoJJjVg&r=1sTeKN0bnWDc2qTcm19sI7agfA48njR8QH86scEt5Yo&m=Rd_Fhh9R7yJcZv14CONjbku7aUC1ner5CZ5dHC8tBHA&s=YMPTMp1oZthxNk0D-x6ncwjjXMBlJjZV_cMh-OkMQ0E&e=>]
that new reviewers be invited to participate in the DH conference review
process. Please note that reviewers are asked toreview *at least* seven
proposals for DH 2017 conference.

*ADHO is seeking at least five **/new /**reviewers from each SIG and
other organization bodies.*

Candidates must meet at least two of the following:

  * Be currently associated directly with or have been associated
    professionally with an institutional DH program, project, or
    initiative within the last three years.
  * Hold at least a Master’s degree or equivalent in a relevant
    discipline (including but not limited to Humanities, Science(s),
    Library Science, Fine Arts).
  * Have presented at an ADHO-, CO- or SIG-organized conference,
    symposium, colloquium, or equivalent.
  * Have published a DH-specific article or essay in a scholarly journal
    or volume (either print or electronic).

The Steering Committee approved the following wording in terms of ADHO’s
ongoing efforts to support diversity and inclusion within our discipline:

“Nominations should reflect ADHO's mission and stated expectation that
reviewers "be selected to represent a range of disciplines, interests,
and geography.” We would extend that to be more inclusive, using
appropriately all criteria that seem relevant to improve the diversity
and inclusivity of the conference in consideration of language and
gender. In putting forward a candidate, the nominator should be
cognizant of and attentive to their own organization's statement of
diversity.” /*Please send to me (khw2 at rice.edu) your name and
qualifications by Sept. 12.* :/

  * Name
  * Email
  * Professional affiliation and job title
  * Two areas of qualifications as noted above

The full list of nominees will be compiled and reviewed by the Program
Committee by 30 September. Approved reviewers will be contacted via
ConfTool to confirm their willingness to participate and ask them to
create or update their ConfTool user profile to include the language(s)
in which they are proficient for evaluating professional work and their
areas of expertise.

Thanks in advance!

regards,

Kathy