[GeoHumanities SIG] Online Peer Review of German Dataset

Jaskot, Paul PJASKOT at depaul.edu
Fri Jul 22 21:13:09 CEST 2016

Dear Colleagues,

I am hoping that some of you may be interested in this rather new experiment that we are running here at the Center for Advanced Study in the Visual Arts (National Gallery) next week. Ivo van der Graaff and I would love to have help on an experimental online peer review of a spatial dataset of German architectural sites 1914-24 that we have put together. We will be having a live twitter conversation July 26, 2016, 12-1PM EST (#casva_dh) discussing the dataset. I'll be running the discussion through my twitter feed @PBJaskot . Details below at the link. Esssentially, CASVA is experimenting a bit, and, well, we agreed to release our data as part of the experiment. As you will see, we have started to map the typology field of the dataset, but we would like your input on how best to use all of the other fields in addition. What would you try? What should we think about for the next dataset from historical journals? What works, what doesn't? It would be particularly helpful if list members could try visualizing any field you like yourself, and add that visual as part of the conversation. That said, we are also interested in general comments on the strengths/weaknesses of the approach or things we might want to consider as we move towards other historical journals. The website will incorporate our conversation as an example of how DH emphasizes the research process and collaborative conversations. Please spread the word and DO participate in the conversation! Let me know if you have any questions.

Sincerely,
Paul Jaskot

http://www.nga.gov/content/ngaweb/research/casva/Mapping_German_Architecture_1914_1924.html

Paul B. Jaskot
Andrew W. Mellon Professor, 2014-2016
Center for Advanced Study in the Visual Arts
National Gallery of Art
Washington, DC

[Prof. of Art History, DePaul University, Chicago, IL 60614]
<http://www.nga.gov/content/ngaweb/research/casva/Mapping_German_Architecture_1914_1924.html>