[GeoHumanities SIG] spatial narrative without maps

Karl Grossner karlg at stanford.edu
Fri Jul 15 07:20:45 CEST 2016

Hello Geohumanists,

Yesterday in an open discussion duting a "Maps and Space" session at DH2016 in Kraków, the topic turned to 'mapping without GIS' and geohumanities scholarly products without maps at all. I made reference to the large and ongoing project "Geographies of the Holocaust" - several examples of output from that project can be seen here:

https://www.ushmm.org/learn/mapping-initiatives/geographies-of-the-holocaust

The experimental work I wanted to point out particularly, by Anne Kelly Knowles and her student, Levi Westerveld, has not been published to my knowledge. They shared this at a half-day workshop I convened last year at Stanford, "Geospatial narrative: Perspectives from the humanities, cartography and geographic information science."

A short write-up of that event, with links to material presented, is here: https://digitalhumanities.stanford.edu/cidr-hosts-osullivan-geography-lecture-and-geospatial-narratives-workshop

I would like very much to stage a panel or workshop on geospatial narrative in the humanities at next year's DH conference, what do you all think?

Karl

-
Karl Grossner, PhD
Center for Interdisciplinary Digital Research
Stanford University Libraries
http://kgeographer.org