[GeoHumanities SIG] Fwd: CFP for Coordinates: Digital Mapping and 18th C Visual, Material, and Built Cultures issue in Journal 18

Kathy Weimer khw2 at rice.edu
Thu Dec 8 01:43:09 CET 2016

Of potential interest -
apologies for any duplication -

Kathy

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: *Alicia Peaker* <apeaker at brynmawr.edu <mailto:apeaker at brynmawr.edu>>

Dear Colleagues,

Below please find the CfP for a special issue of Journal 18, a new
online journal dedicated to 18th C art and culture. "Coordinates:
Digital Mapping and 18th C Visual, Material, and Built Cultures" will
feature projects and essays that examine the potential of digital tools
for visualizing spatial data in the long eighteenth century. For more
information, go to http://www.journal18.org/future-issues/
<http://www.journal18.org/future-issues/>.

Please circulate this announcement widely. We invite all expressions of
interest.

With best wishes,

Carrie and Nancy

*Coordinates: Digital Mapping and 18th C Visual, Material, and Built
Cultures*

Art history’s digital turn has been stimulated by the possibilities of
spatial research.  Spurred by the collection, preservation, and
distribution of art historical data in digital space—practices that have
both collapsed and expanded our own discursive geographies—scholars have
exploited the potential of geospatial analysis for art historical study.
These new methods are particularly promising for the study of the early
modern world, which has been fruitfully understood through the prisms of
connections and exchanges that crossed world regions and defied the
boundaries drawn on static maps. Digital mapping platforms and
applications like CartoDB, Neatline, ArcGIS, Leaflet, and MapBox have
made it possible, for example, to visualize the movement of people, such
as artists, through temporal and geographic space, thus allowing us to
reimagine personal and material contacts in tangible ways. Moreover, the
dynamic lives of mobile and fungible objects can be displayed in
extended and often circuitous trajectories, thus encouraging the kind of
nonlinear visual analysis that is foundational to the practice of art
history. Georectification tools have further facilitated the
reconciliation of historical figurations of space with contemporary
visualizations, which allows competing spatial narratives to coexist
productively in a digital realm, while also challenging the magisterial
view offered by modern cartography.

In this issue of /Journal18/, we seek to feature current scholarship
that relies on the analytical power provided by digital mapping
interfaces for the study of visual, material, and built cultures during
the long eighteenth century. How do digital humanities methods and tools
shape our understanding of space and place in the early modern period?
What impact might digital mapping have on our historical investigations
of people, objects, and their environments? Submissions may take the
form of an article (up to 6000 words) or a project presented through a
digital platform that takes full advantage of /Journal18/’s online
format. We also welcome proposals for shorter vignettes (around 2,500
words) that reflect on projects in progress or consider the potential
for particular mapping methodologies for eighteenth-century art history.

**

*Issue Editors*

Carrie Anderson, /Middlebury College/

Nancy Um, /Binghamton University/

*Proposals for issue #5 /Coordinates /are now being accepted. Deadline
for proposals: April 1, 2017.*

To submit a proposal, send an abstract (200 words) and a brief CV to
editor at journal18.org <mailto:editor at journal18.org> and
carriea at middlebury.edu <mailto:carriea at middlebury.edu>. Articles should
not exceed 6000 words (including footnotes) and will be due on *November
1, 2017*. For further details on the submission process see
http://www.journal18.org/info/ <http://www.journal18.org/info/>.