[GeoHumanities SIG] DH2016 workshop proposal in spatial humanities

Carmen Brando carmen.brando at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 17:48:49 CEST 2015

Dear geo-humanists,

We are two researchers in digital humanities and geographic information
science based in France and Italy. Our research has recently focused on
quality issues in existing Linked Data gazetteers for usage in NLP
applications related to 19th Century French literary texts. For DH2016, we
are very interested in proposing a workshop about the aforementioned matter
as well as several other topics we think are crucial for the advance of
research in the spatial humanities, some of these are:

- natural language processing for handling textual references,
- publication of geo-historical data using semantic Web technologies,
- quality assessment of geo-historical linked data sets
- geographic information retrieval applications,
- spatio-temporal data mining,
- historical cartography and visualisation,
- modeling uncertainty of spatio-temporal data,
- among others.

We are aware that many of these subjects concern the GeoHumanities Special
Interest Group. We would like to ask you whether you are considering about
submitting a workshop proposal on any of the previously listed topics. We
believe that it would be worthwhile to bring our efforts together and
submit a common proposal. This could hopefully gather in one place many
researchers from many parts of the World interested in the spatial
humanities. From our side, there are several institutional partners who are
willing to participe, these are listed below.

- Istituto di Linguistica Computazionale «A. Zampolli» of the National
Research Council (CNR) in Italy,
- French national mapping agency (IGN) in France,
- Paris-Sorbonne University in France
- Free University of Brussels in Belgium
- Università del Piemonte Orientale in Italy (the GeoLat project)
- and probably others.

If you are interested in collaborating with us, please send us a note!

Many thanks for considering our request, we look forward to hearing from
you.

Kind regards,
Carmen BRANDO, PhD, researcher at the French National Mapping Agency (IGN)
Francesca FRONTINI, PhD, researcher at the Italian National Research
Council (CNR)