[GeoHumanities SIG] DH 2014 GeoHumanities SIG meeting, July 8th (full-day)

Karl Grossner karlg at stanford.edu
Thu Apr 10 16:15:06 CEST 2014

Greetings,

We are re-posting this due to the recent release of the DH 2014 full schedule including workshops, and the upcoming early-bird registration deadline (14 Apr).

******************

The GeoHumanities SIG of ADHO will hold its inaugural meeting on July 8th at the Digital Humanities conference in Lausanne (DH 2014). There is no charge for attending. The full-day program will include project presentations as well as discussions of proposed SIG collaborative activities and organizational matters.

A major unifying theme of the SIG, and one emphasized in our founding document, is the topic of digital gazetteers and related challenges of representing temporality.  The morning and early afternoon of our meeting day will be devoted to gazetteers and projects addressing their development, as several folks have indicated interest in presenting.  The contributors thus far include:

- Stuart Dunn, Kings College London (Heritage Gazetteer of Cyprus)
- Miranda Anderson and Beatrice Alex, Univ. of Edinburgh (Palimpsest project)
- Leif Isaksen, Rainer Simon, and Elton Barker
    [Univ. of Southampton, The Open University, Austrian Institute of Technology] (Pelagios 3)
- Humphrey Southall, Univ. of Portsmouth (PastPlace)
- Petr Pridal, Klokan Technologies (Old Maps Online)
- Susanna Ånäs (Wikidata & Wikimedia)
- Eric Kansa, Alexandria Archive Institute (PeriodO)
- Tomi Kauppinen, University of Bremen (Fuzzy temporal intervals)
- Wolfgang Schmidle, German Archaeological Institute (DAI) (CIDOC-CRM and CRMgeo)
- Kathy Weimer, Texas A&M University (Geographic name authority records)
- Karl Grossner, Stanford University (Topotime)

The late afternoon agenda will include (1) GeoDiRT, a proposed SIG project developing a geo-centered listings of projects and digital resources, aligned with the Dariah/Bamboo DiRT project; (2) suggestions for other SIG activities; (3) SIGs’ role within ADHO generally and (4) our own organizational structure.

We would like to hear from you, whether attending DH or not, about potential future SIG initiatives, business and agenda items and/or other ideas for SIG engagement.  You can post suggestions to the SIG list (http://lists.lists.digitalhumanities.org/mailman/listinfo/geohumsig ) or email the co-Chairs directly.

  Karl Grossner, karlg [at] stanford [dot] edu
  Kathy Weimer, k-weimer [at] library [dot] tamu [dot] edu

  http://geohumanities.org
  @GeoHum_SIG