[GeoHumanities SIG] Announcing the GeoHumanities SIG of ADHO

Kathy Weimer k-weimer at library.tamu.edu
Thu Sep 12 15:49:28 CEST 2013

Greetings, GeoHumanists!

We want to welcome you to the GeoHumanities Special Interest Group.  As of this morning, we have over 50 individuals subscribed to this list, and a similar number on Twitter.  Members are primarily from the US and Canada, however include many other locations around the globe (and we encourage broad international participation).  Please be in touch as you have ideas or suggestions for the group.  We want to hear from you.

We are happy to see our membership growing and look forward to many collaborations through this SIG.  While there is no requirement for SIG members to be members of ADHO, we do encourage everyone to join ADHO in order to continue support for our sponsoring body.  Membership info is here:http://adho.org/faq

Also, we are looking for a few more members of the Steering Committee.  This group will shape the work and products of the SIG, including the content of the web page and SIG programming at the DH conference, among other initiatives.  We would like a diversity of approaches and opinions represented.  If you are interested, please contact the co-chairs directly.

The following message went out Monday, however many of you have only recently subscribed, so we felt it best that it go out once again -

Greetings, GeoHumanists!
Sept. 9, 2013

As the GeoHumanities SIG of the Alliance of Digital Humanities Organizations<http://adho.org> (ADHO) gets under way, we want to let you know what activities we have in mind so far, to solicit your thoughts and suggestions, and to ask you to encourage people in your circles to join. The interests of this group are inclusive of spatial, spatial-temporal and ‘placial’ perspectives on humanities scholarship—hence the choice of “geo” as a prefix.

The very first actions we have taken were to create this list, a preliminary web page (http://geohumanities.org), and a Twitter account (@GeoHum_SIG). Many of our next steps will involve building out a web site with functionality that meets the needs and wishes of the group’s members.

The stated goals of the SIG, as expressed in our proposal to ADHO, are:

“… to create a venue for pooling knowledge and best practices for relevant existing digital tools and methods, to foster the collaborative development of shared resources and new tools and extensions to geospatial software, and to keep humanist scholars at large informed about the possibilities and inherent pitfalls in their use.”

That statement, and the contents of the proposal itself<http://tinyurl.com/pevdhqa> are just a starting point. Ultimately, what this group is and does is up to its members! So please weigh in--on this mailing list, on Twitter, or if you prefer, directly to the co-chairs and steering committee (contact details are on the group’s web site<http://geohumanities.org>).

Sincerely,

Co-chairs

Kathy Weimer (Texas A & M University) and Karl Grossner (Stanford University)

Steering Committee

Elton Barker (Open University, UK), Merrick Lex Berman (Harvard University), Sarah Luria (College of the Holy Cross), Worthy Martin (University of Virginia)

Katherine H. Weimer
Professor
Co-Editor, Journal of Map & Geography Libraries
Curator of Maps, Cushing Memorial Library & Archives
Coordinator, Map & GIS Library
Texas A & M University Libraries
5000 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-5000