[GeoHumanities SIG] place in library catalog

Burns, Bonnie Bburns at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Oct 2 17:34:25 CEST 2013

Hi Kathy,

We are just finishing up a project here that uses natural language processing to geocode place references in our library catalog.  To date we have geocoded about a million catalog records, resulting in about 6 million geocodes, and created a beta version of a search interface that incorporates that information.  We did use a commercial product for the tagging, but we are watching the development of open source tools very closely, and the rest of the project is open source.

We are in the middle of an upgrade so the UI isn't available right now, but we have a demo video here:     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULkZE8TVP3I . I'm happy to provide more information to anyone who is interested, including a link to the UI once it is back up.

Bonnie

Bonnie A. Burns
Librarian for Geographic Information Services
Harvard Map Collection
Pusey Library
Cambridge, MA 02138
617-496-8125