[GeoHumanities SIG] place in library catalog

Kathy Weimer k-weimer at library.tamu.edu
Tue Oct 1 18:44:50 CEST 2013

Ontology solution?  That could be the case…  What do our Ontology people here on the list think about this?

We must consider the amount of structured information that currently exists that describe library collections.  There is 100+ years of history and theories that go into the cataloging practices, and millions of records and for better or worse the overall structure has not changed in all of those years.  Those records can not be undone, but could/should be harvested and molding into new search engines until such time that the technologies and approaches allow for larger changes.

Kathy