[GeoHumanities SIG] place in library catalog

Kathy Weimer k-weimer at library.tamu.edu
Tue Oct 1 17:41:14 CEST 2013

Renne,

Thanks for the note. I did not intend to imply that 'catalogers' were the problem, but that the cataloging rules and processes are  constraining to the geographic nature of information.  I actually spent many years as a cataloger so understand how the subject analysis rules emphasize specificity in subject analysis, and how that results in gaps in retrieval.  For example, if I am searching for information about Brazos County, Texas, and type in the catalog 'Brazos County', I will get some handful of books and stuff on the topic.  But, there will be nothing retrieved when Brazos County is mentioned in a work on the state of Texas (because those records only use the subject of Texas), and the results will not include books which are only related to a city which lies within Brazos County.  So, there are gaps in information retrieval based on the cataloging structures.  That is why the interest in a map based visualization that would indicate the geographic context.

On the other hand, the coded geographic fields (043 & 052) are very general, and are not searchable.  So there is data just waiting to be harvested.

It is not a deficiency of the people doing the work, whether they are geographers or not, but of the nature of the cataloging rules and traditions that are in place and the gaps in retrieval that I am interested in addressing.

Kathy