[Dhcenterstartup] Creating the physical space of a DH center

Dot Porter dot.porter at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 21:01:09 CET 2013

At the University of Pennsylvania we have recently launched a new lab in
the Kislak Special Collections Center on the model of Studio at Butler. It is
essentially a space, although unlike Studio at Butler we do have a bit of tech
- two desktop machines (purchased when it was expected that the lab would
be of a more "tradition" lab environment) and a really fabulous ceiling
camera that both displays through a large monitor on the wall, and exports
through a USB connection. For a lab embedded in a special collections
library this has turned out to be very popular. Instructors and paleography
working groups can use the lab to show everyone in a group the same
manuscript at the same time (and in high-resolution), and we can share
manuscripts (and any other materials from the collections too of course)
via Skype. But aside from this bit of tech, events in the lab tend towards
hack-like and workshops.

Dot

P.S. I'd love to hear from other DH centers (not digitization labs)
embedded in special collections libraries.

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 2:51 PM, Lynne Siemens <siemensl at uvic.ca> wrote:

>  Hi all, while many DH center's have a virtual element, ultimately a
> physical space becomes important for supporting the project work and formal
> and informal discussions.
>
>  For ideas on what these spaces look like, go to:
>

>    - DH Initiatives, Hamilton College,
>    http://www.dhinitiative.org/about/dhispace
>    - Studio at Butler, Columbia University Libraries
>    https://studio.cul.columbia.edu
>    - D-Lab, Berkeley, http://dlab.berkeley.edu,
>    http://dlab.berkeley.edu/space,
>
> Are there other models to suggest?
>
>  Cheers
>
>  Lynne
>  --
>
> Dr. Lynne Siemens
>
> Assistant Professor
>
> Graduate Advisor, Master of Arts in Community Development
>
> School of Public Administration
>
> University of Victoria
>
> Telephone: (250) 721-8069
>
> Email: siemensl at uvic.ca