[Dhcenterstartup] Fwd: Talks about DH Centers and how to start them

Lynne Siemens siemensl at uvic.ca
Wed Mar 27 16:16:59 CET 2013

Hi Gurpreet, great question.

As a starting point, you will want to look at some of the resources that we will be putting up within the Centernet page.  (Stay tuned for the announcement of what the page is public.  Coming very soon).

In the meantime, you might look at some of the DH Center proposals that can be found on line:

  *   IDHMC: the Initiative for Digital Humanities, Media, and Culture, Texas A&M, http://idhmc.tamu.edu/commentpress/dh-whitepaper/
  *   Center for Digital Research in the Humanities, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, http://cdrh.unl.edu/articles/creatingcdrh.php
  *    Task Force on Digital Directions in the humanities, The University of Kansas, <http://kuscholarworks.ku.edu/dspace/bitstream/1808/10340/1/DigitalHumanitiesReport3-2-10.pdf> http://kuscholarworks.ku.edu/dspace/bitstream/1808/10340/1/DigitalHumanitiesReport3-2-10.pdf

You might also look to a presentation from the University of Southern California on preparing a large interdisciplinary center at  https://research.usc.edu/files/2011/05/rwh_center_proposals.ppt.

Finally, recently, the Humanist list serve also had several postings about starting a DH center.  You can find them at

  *    http://lists.digitalhumanities.org/pipermail/humanist/2013-February/010636.html
  *    http://lists.digitalhumanities.org/pipermail/humanist/2013-February/010640.html
  *    http://lists.digitalhumanities.org/pipermail/humanist/2013-February/010644.html
  *    http://lists.digitalhumanities.org/pipermail/humanist/2013-February/010648.html

You will find that all these have several things in common.  They begin to outline the purpose of a center, how it ties into activities already going on at the institution, initial resources for planning, who will be involved from around campus and potentially beyond, etc.

Anyone else know of any models to consider?

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Lynne

--